27 March 2008

Borewell adventures

Another kid falls into a borewell - a 3-year-old named Vandana who was rescued after 26 hours in the disused pit. It wasnt long back when a little boy in Haryana fell into one and remained there for 48 hours or so. He was lucky to have got out alive. But I am sure the trauma they go through would take time to heal. I would have died of fear or gone mad. In fact it remains one of my deepest fears - falling into a borewell. Though I guess I am not lean enough to pass through a hole dug for borewell.

Years ago, a film was made in Malayalam debuting 'Baby Shalini's' sister Shyamili on a similar theme. Apparently the story was then based on a little girl in the UK who died after a harrowing time in some underground well. Anyway, our little heroine in the movie did not die. What is a movie if a heroine cant be rescued?

Unlike a poor boy from a Chennai slum who fell into a borwell pit on the roadside dug and abandoned by some callous person, who did not deem it necessary to close the pit properly. The boy died despite the earnest efforts of all concerned. I am still haunted by the newspaper reports of that incident.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, how sad..people seem to care less.. and even if some one had closed the bore hole(with a slab) another would have lifted the slap off..for their personal use..
God be with the childs family.
ust