19 November 2007

The English Faculty then

Thanking our Profs...
Principal Rev. Dr. H. Francis Sounderraj (HFS) - I think he taught us Phonetics/linguistics in the first year (I still remember him saying that tier is pronounced like tear and not tyre, and that tyre is something that runs on the road as opposed to the train's tier and railway tracks). In the 2nd year, he taught us TS Elliot's Murder in the Cathedral though because of the problems in college he couldnt complete it and some other prof took over those classes. I absolutely loved his classes. (That's him at a convocation ceremony.)
Head of the Dept Prof. V.S. Venkataraman(VSV) - He taught us Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in the 2nd year. I always looked forward to his classes as he was very humorous.Prof. Jayaraman (He retired in '92.) - he taught us Shakespeare's some play. His was the first class I attended at MCC. Sad to say, people would fly paper rockets, read novels, sleep etc. while he taught - since he was blind.
Prof. Dr. P. Rajani (PR) - he taught us poetry including metaphysical poetry. The bachelor Sindhi prof with his flowing beard organised plays.
Prof. P.S. Dorai (PSD) - I cant remember what he taught but it was always tough to cross the 60% mark in the papers he evaluated. I got it only once, and I thought that was the greatest achievement in my 2 years there. Vinodini was his favorite student scoring 60 or a lil more. His smoking was legendary, and he would ride around the campus in a bicycle.
Prof. Dr. A. Vishnu Bhatt (AVB) - he taught us Indian literature and also some other boring topics. He took his doctorate later.
Prof. V. Rajagopalan(VR) - he always had a smile for all of us.
Prof . S. Victor Fredrick (SVF) - he taught us Shakespeare and called me Roshini. Some fared badly in his papers depending on how their relations with him were. Being an autonomous college, the internal assessments could be biased .
Prof. Wilfred Chelliah (WC) - he was better known as a man of music (at his church I think)
Prof. Manohar Samuel (MS) - he was very strict and send back students who came late to class saying that they were too early for the next class!
Prof. Dr. Stephen Jebanesan (SJ) - he had a cultivated foreign accent having done some courses in the UK/US on scholarships. His polka-dotted shirts were famous. He taught us linguistics in the first year.
Prof. Nirmal Selvamoney (NS) - getting marks in his papers were believed to be tough, and he taught us in the 2nd yr. A stickler for the purity of the Tamil language, he had changed his name - but VSV once observed that he should have called himself Nirmal Duddumuthu since Selvamoney wasnt pure Tamil! :)
Prof. Cherian Kurien (CK) - he taught us Shaw's Arms and the Man, and would sign with his fingers over his head whereever something he was referring to was in inverted comas.
Prof. Felix Moses (FM) - apparently he gve negative marks in BA, but in our MA class he was giving most of us marks in the 80-95% range. Prof. K.Ganesh (KG's nick name was "kind gentleman", says Maha!) - his classes were very good and he had a loud booming voice that made not listening not easy at all.
Prof. Franklin (FD) - he was a very friendly prof but did not take classes for us, only supervised as we took our exams.
Prof. Arul Kumaran (YAK) - he did not take classes for us either.

Our dept help was one John, a smiling kind person who went to the AG's church. He helped in xeroxing and marks entering, and we did some dept assistance for him as part of our non-academic requirements.
The name list have been compiled by Usha and the details & observations by Rosh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I remember right Mural was good at imitating FM for the way he said Comedy and Tragedy.

MLK

Anonymous said...

Professor Jayaraman was there in our first year. He retired that summer.

MLK

Amos said...

True and Prof Rajani initials were PR

AM

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rosh, Maha, Miller for helpingme compile this... Usha

Anonymous said...

Prof. Rajagopal could never remember who I was. When I was in first year, he thought I was that student in second year. When I was in second year he thought I was the student from his M.Phil class. When I went back to India the first time he was really shocked to see the changes in me. He had funny/sweet comments which I don't want to share in a blog!

MLK