Prof.HFS- being our Principal was a very busy person. He was also a Rev.He was there for early morning Assembly(service).Wc -would be there sometimes to play. But Prof Manthramurthy's son David used to play the music. Quite a few of our Dept staff would be there.If i managed to arrive early would attend the service.. as walking to Seliayur hall and waiting for classes was not a great thing.Hostel kids will still be walking around half awake!Glaring at the rest of us who come on time!
HFS also during his time had strikes to deal with. You could see(AUT?) in front of the gate .. (sitting/Standing)..walking around at times with sticks..Police men around.. those were my memories..If My memory is right HFS also did church service,at college chapel .Sirs, classes were good. As Rosh said he told us stuff we never thought of like The Tier/tyre example..
His answer papers were read by him.. He underlined and gave his comments if good or not right.. And only in his paper I felt i got the correct marks.. rest of them ,one feels may be you had to be in the good books also and not just study.
I Think he even did extra class ,as he would hardly make it .. sometimes he would come late...someone had to remind him..so everyone would wait for few Min's then do their disappearing acts..so his class would have just 5-10 of us.
I think rarely he would have had 20 kids in the class.. wonder if he ever got whole class .
Prof.HFS called me"Sarah "..later when i got to help out in Admissions office got to meet him in His office/home.. There always seem to be lots of them waiting to meet him.. at both places..
Prof VSV. I think was one of the striking staff... He was also a Busy person.His class was fun.. he cracked Jokes .. he would close his eyes, write on the blackboard, walk around and teach. Sirs, Papers were handed over to John.. who got to enter marks and hand it over to us..I have seen Sir correcting papers..he seems to read here there.. flips through so fast and then marks them.. Amazed me How they do that. since we went often to the dept entrance we got the opportunity to see all profs at work.His classes were mostly First ..or morning ones.. most of them would be around.
Prof VSV also called me "sarah" then all profs seem to call me by the same name.I suppose having 2 usha's around it was easier.
Prof Jayaraman-He could not see , sir had walking difficulty..came on rickshaw..3 Cheers to him for achieving all that and to manage college co eds.. #taught us Marlowe or King Edward.. Play! Sir, had great Listening Power.. yes, i also found it hard when they sent rockets/read novels/trying to sneak in/out of class when he was taking class..
Sir knew our voices.. he knew our names by heart would ask for each of us my name..to read/answer his questions.
When we wished him around Campus he knew our voices.I can remember him as cheerful Prof.
Prof PR, Rajani sir, had long beard,hair, he did a lot of Xeroxing, for dept.. got books for lib use doing that.. so we had copies to borrow and read. He also made sure all of us had copy of the poetry he taught.. He also had Asthma.. still was always active had nick names for us. Murali was his favorite .. He stayed in St. Thomas hall.His Interest in Dramas had him working with everyone to do a college play.He conducted poetry reading .. where he had me also up reading poetry in front of others!He was always looking for new talents to cast them in his plays.Auditions were after college hrs. practices go into nights.. is what i have heard.
I think Shanker Balan, Ghosh,Vinodini all took part in Plays Directed by sir. Liked his class too.He had us sell tickets for play.Buy some ourselves and Attend them also!Sir was strict in his corrections.Only towards the end I realised if we asked him for notes he would give us..He liked having Tea in our entrance shop.. Think he has had all of us once at least to keep him company.Used to be scared of him later felt at home.Saw him working in Alumni office last time
Murali, Rosh, Annie ..we met him together .
Prof AVB. prof always smiled us when he saw us around the dept.. he was always willing to give us his notes..always seemed to be having his betel leaves..sir was a Well read person also knew Sanskrit.He invited us to his house.. don't think anyone who was his student who has not visited his home.His family was also very welcoming. Sorry to hear about his sad demise. Ma'am was also a Eng Prof.. but in a Ladies college.
Sir's corrections- have had him read out our answers when at his home .. he too seemed to read here there.. he never seemed to fail anyone.!all of us would be 60 range ..!
Sir's class was sometimes too high for me.. and his class was usually after noon so attendance used to be around 50% rarely more.
These are some of my good memories of these profs. Will write about the rest of them another day.
3 comments:
Prof. Rajani and I didn't really get along in the beginning. I probably wasn't cool enough!! For some reason he made me write a 15-20 page essay on John Donne (I think!) and I had to read it in front of the class. I remember warning my classmates not to ask me any questions at the end of my reading. In spite of which, Gosh asked me a couple of questions. Rajani gave me a 95 on that paper and since then we were friends.
MLK
Hi, true , now i remember u asking us all to not ask ? and Ghosh getting up to ask and i wanted to shake him! I was also not cool enough.. and was frightened of PR SIR,.. although the Ex BA students of Mcc in our class Told us otherwise..!
Yes , I think for putting u through that he gave u high marks.Good for u.I Think he Knew u'r potential..!
take care ust
I was always in awe of PR. Once when he made me read a poem in class, he gave me some instructions about not making it sound clipped. It made me so nervous that I clammed up even more. Much later, my bro told me how many students went to him for Spoken English tutions. I regretted not having used that op to improve my accent.
Post a Comment